Tuesday, February 16, 2010

An Objective Self Portrait

A self portrait by definition is a representation of an artist, drawn, painted, photographed, or sculpted by the artist. I was attracted to the idea of a self portrait, since my photography usually focuses on objects, not people, especially myself since I'm always on the other side of the lens. I thought this version of a self portrait would be perfect for my final project, as it is figuratively and literally a closer look at myself.

A call it an Objective Self Portrait because I took pictures of objects that in one way or another make me who I am. Also, the objective element of a camera is the optical element that gathers light from the object being observed and focuses the light rays to produce a real image. Each one of these images is a stitching of 6 - 13 individual photographs.

It's All About the Jefferson's


Shutter: 1/15
F-Stop: 3.5
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 105 mm
Lens: 105 mm f/2.8

I have a collection of $2 bills - one of them (the top one in the image) is a 1953 series with red ink used for the serial number and a different design on the back than the rest of them. I came into possession of it by chance from a delivery tip! I can't believe somebody just gave it away, but I guess I'm glad they did.

Decorations

Shutter: 1/15
F-Stop: 3.5
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 105 mm
Lens: 105 mm f/2.8


I used to work at Bead Boss, a bead and jewelry store in high school, and made a bunch of jewelry for myself while I was there. I made most of the ones I used for this shot while I was there, but others came different memories.

Eye of the Tiger

Shutter: 1/8
F-Stop: 3.5
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 105 mm
Lens: 105 mm f/2.8


This is Joshes eye, and he was able to keep his eye perfectly open and still for a couple seconds so I could get this shot. I think it's one of my favorites.

My Tools

Shutter: 1/4
F-Stop: 3.2
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 105 mm
Lens: 105 mm f/2.8


Although I am passionate photographer and designer, I am also a painter at heart. These come from a collection that has been building since the beginning of high school.

Brush Work

Shutter: .3
F-Stop: 4.5
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 105 mm
Lens: 105 mm f/2.8


This is a detail from one of my favorite paintings I have done. I wanted to get close enough to see the individual brush strokes. I wanted to see the motions I used to create it.

The Ring

Shutter: .3
F-Stop: 4.8
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 105 mm
Lens: 105 mm f/2.8


I wear this ring everyday. I remember the first time I put it on, and it felt a little out of place since I never wore rings consistently. Now I feel weird without it, and I love it every time I look at it.

Chicago Native

Shutter: 1/15
F-Stop: 3.2
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 105 mm
Lens: 105 mm f/2.8


I have lived in the Chicago suburbs my entire life, and that has given me a million memories playing (or suffering) in the snow. Within the past couple years I've helped build a BA igloo and an 8ft snowman! But I have also grown to loath snow, as I helped push someone out of our driveway (one of many) one cold, snowy night for this shot.

Sea Turtle

Shutter: 1/15
F-Stop: 3.5
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 105 mm
Lens: 105 mm f/2.8


I made a sea turtle out of clay the first time I ever put my hands on the stuff. I'm not sure why at a young age I was drawn to them, but I am drawn to them still for many reasons. This turtle took me several weeks to finish, and I wasn't planning on the shell being separate from the body, but they separated during the firing and after that it made a pretty sweet container.

No comments:

Post a Comment