Monday, December 21, 2009

Photography Week 2 Exercises

For week 2, we have to complete exercises relating to capturing motion. First, we captured the same subject three times - once frozen in motion, once completely blurred, and once in between the two. For the second part of the assignment, we captured a moving object, moving the camera along with the object so that the moving object was in sharp focus, and the background blurred out.

Below are the examples of the the moving object captured in motion, which after many attempts in various ways I finally found the only method that I was happy with.

Exercise 2: Panning Motion
Subject: Toys
Photo 1: Simba

Shutter: 10.0"
F-Stop: 22
ISO: 400
Focal Length: 22.0 mm
Lens: 18-55 mm

I tried many times to follow a moving object with the camera, either by panning with the object, or turning the camera, and I wasn't happy with any of them. So, I duct taped a compact hole puncher to the camera and duct taped Simba here to the other end and spun around.

Photo 2: Batman

Shutter: 10.0"
F-Stop: 22
ISO: 400
Focal Length: 22.0 mm
Lens:
18-55 mm

Same thing with Batman as I did with Simba, but for some reason the camera was being stubborn and wouldn't necessarily take the picture every time I pushed the shutter release, so when it finally did go off, I wasn't ready and the camera was still for a moment. That's why you can see the Grateful Dead poster and the lamp in the corner.

Photo 3: Power Ranger

Shutter: 10.0"
F-Stop: 22
ISO: 400
Focal Length: 22.0 mm
Lens:
18-55 mm

This guy is my favorite, I loved that he was missing a leg, and the angle I put him at made him look closer to a flying position.

For my next two shots, which are admittedly unrelated, I chose some cute animal shots of two puppies named Kona and Zoey.


Kona

Shutter: 1/60"
F-Stop: 3.5
ISO: 320
Focal Length: 18.0 mm
Lens:
18-55 mm

Kona loves the camera, but she was so excited it was hard to get her to sit still for even a second.

Kona & Zoey

Shutter: 1/60"
F-Stop: 4.8
ISO: 400
Focal Length: 35.0 mm
Lens: 18-55 mm

These ladies are sisters and they really give the phrase Puppy-Dog Eyes true meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment